Labels

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hummus

Since I AM a dietitian, I have decided that I must post at least 2 healthy posts to each of my naughty posts.  I was going to share an awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe with you guys, but that will have to wait until later in the week.  Today we are going to make homemade Hummus.
Making your own hummus is SO much more economic and tasty than the pre-made stuff from the store.  Plus, it's free of preservatives because there's no way it's going to last that long once you whip up a batch.
I seriously recommend using a food processor, something that I am not blessed with in the trailer.  As many of you know, I chose to take my blender with me over my food processor because I thought it had more uses.  I wish I had more storage space in here because I would bring my food processor and my Kitchenaide stand mixer.  Oh how I miss those two lovely gadgets in my life.
Ok, so back to the hummus.  Use a food processor if you can, but a blender (mixer or potato smasher) works pretty good.

Start by rinsing those garbanzo beans really, really well until the water runs clear, with no bubbles.  This helps reduce sodium content AND reduces some of those "gases" we associate with beans :)  Both things that most people are trying to reduce in their lives! 


Roughly chop some gaaaarlic. (that's my Boston accent coming through, haah!)


TAHINI, my friends, is the secret to good hummus.  It's pretty much like peanut butter, except it's made out of sesame seeds instead of peanuts.  You usually find it in the grocery store next to the peanut butters.
It's all natural, with no hydrogenated oils, so the oil will settle on the top.  Give it a good stir and store it in the fridge once you open it.
I always store my natural nut butters, Adam's peanut butter & tahini, upside down in the fridge.  That way the oil is on the bottom of the jar and I don't spill it all over when I try to mix it up.  Just another little "trick of the trade"


Combine beans, tahini, seasoning, oil, water and lemon juice in your blender or food processor; pulse until smooth.  You will obtain a much smoother consistency in a food processor.  Add more water if necessary.

Serve with fresh veggies, pita chips, or put on your favorite sandwich or wrap.
Hummus is a great source of protein, fiber, iron, plenty of B-vitamins and minerals.


You could also add a flavor punch to your hummus by adding sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, roasted garlic, etc. etc. etc.
Enjoy this lovely snack, guilt free!

Hummus

1 (14 oz. can) garbanzo beans (AKA chickpeas)
2-3 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cumin, or more to taste
2 teaspoons olive oil
2-3 tablespoons of water, (or more to achieve desired consistency)
salt to taste

Rinse beans well.  Combine all ingredients in food processor/blender and pulse to combine.  Continue to pulse, adding more water if needed, until desired consistency is achieved.
Garnich with fresh herbs (cilantro, basil, etc).
Serve with veggies, chips or use as a condiment on sandwiches/wraps.
Can be stored in the fridge for about a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment