Labels

Monday, February 6, 2012

Beer Bread

I bought some pumpkin beer thinking it would be delicious....
And it was gross.
No one would touch it.  Even at a tailgate party.
How often does that happen?
So now I'm stuck with a 6 pack of nasty beer.  I can't waste it, so I figured I better make something tasty out of it.  Then I came across this recipe from gimme some oven blog, and decided Beer Bread was the perfect solution to my foul beer dilemma.
Now, I know that I totally fudged this one up, by not posting it before Super Bowl, BUT I was hoping that you all would forgive me?  I was enjoying the Arizona sun this past weekend, so I didn't make any football game blog posts.  ;)

This bread is best when it's fresh and warm, so I would suggest making it when you are having a few people over....plus, you don't want to be left alone with the leftovers.  You might just munch them all up!

What you need is the usual suspects for bread making, except the yeast, that's where your beer comes in.  It acts as your yeast. Even my nasty pumpkin beer was good in this recipe.

Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Pop some honey in the microwave to liquify.  Add honey and beer to the dry ingredients.


Stir beer/honey into dry ingredients just until mixed. Don't over stir.


Place batter into a greased loaf pan and brush the top with melted butter! (Don't tell anyone that an RD told you to do that, haha)


Bake @ 350* for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Enjoy this while still warm with some honey butter or jam!!!  MY Oh MY!!!

I want to keep playing around with this recipe by trying different beers. Think Porter, Amber, maybe an IPA or Hef..... Let me know if you find one that is delicious! 
You're Welcome :) D

Beer Bread (adapted from gimme some oven)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. honey 
  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9″ x 5″ x 3″ inch loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Put honey in microwave for a 10-20 second to liquify.  Using a wooden spoon, stir the beer and honey into the dry ingredients until just mixed. 
Pour batter into pan, and brush top with melted butter.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick/knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Bread is best warm with honey & butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment