Labels

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Personal Pizzas - Super easy, the possibilities are endless

Here in Salt Lake, we had a big wind storm last week.  It was nuts!  The wind gusts were clocked over 100 MPH.  I feel like I can't escape the bloody wind no matter where I travel!  Semi trucks were being blown over on the highway, so what was preventing the 5th wheel from blowing away like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz?  It was a wild ride.  
At one point, I took the dog (Jessi) outside to go potty and when I began to walk back in the trailer, Jessi put on the brakes and refused to come back inside.  She looked up at me with those big puppy-dog eyes and said, "You've got to be crazy if you think I'm going back in that thing!"  She would rather sit outside in the storm than be in the 5th wheel "a rattlin' and a rollin'".  So I went back inside and sat close to the door, so I could bail out if this mother went flying.  I mean dogs have good instinct, they know when stuff is wrong.  So I took a hint.  In the end, we survived, but Jessi and I were bachelorettes for about 5 days while "the man of the trailer" was out working on the storm power outages.  That's right my friends, you can thank my love for lights and warmth during the holiday season! Greg worked from Thursday morning at 7 until Monday at noon, taking periodic 4 hours power naps.  I didn't see him for 5 days!  That's just plain crazy.

So while I was "bach"-ing it, I made some bachelor food.  Here's a recipe to use if you are ever bach-ing it and don't want to cook a full sized meal.

Here's what you need: Pita bread (I used whole wheat), olive oil, grated cheese, green onion, bell pepper, cilantro, cherry tomatoes & avocado.

PS. I made grilled cheese with pita bread too and it was scrumptious.  It might be one of my new favorite kitchen staples.



Chop up bell pepper, green onion and tomatoes.  Saute in a little olive oil on medium high heat until pepper soften, but still have a slight crunch.  Remove from pan.



Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat and place pita bread on pan, with the top side facing down.  Heat for a couple minutes until toasty & golden.


Flip over pita, then top with sauteed veggies and a handful of grated cheese.

Place a cover on top for a couple minutes to melt the cheese.

And boom, perfect bachelorette food in minutes.


Plate your personal pizza.  Top with avocado and fresh cilantro.  I cut mine in 1/2 with a pizza cutter and got after it.

It was delicious........plus you get a good serving of veggies, fruit, whole grains and dairy!  Almost a perfect meal, it's just missing...................wine!


Bachelorette approved.  I'm pretty sure this would be bachelor approved too, you just might have to add some MEAT!  :)

The possibilities are endless: my pizza was fajita style but you could also do some more traditional styles:
Margherita (tomato, basil, mozzarella)
Hawaiian (canadian bacon/pineapple)
Bacon bits and olives
Meat lovers

Or you could get creatives with the toppings:
Sundried tomatoes, feta and spinach
Brie, basil and peach slices
Sharp cheddar and granny smith apples
Caramelized onion, bacon and gouda cheese

I could seriously go on forever.  Just throw in a unique combination of whatever you have on hand.




The perfect dinner on a busy weeknight.  Of course I paired mine with a healthy glass of vino.

Cheers.
D

No comments:

Post a Comment