Labels

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mexican Lasagna

I have been a lazy, no-good cook ALL summer long.  I'll be the first to admit it.  I'm sick of not eating homemade food and I'll bet my husband is too.  Thankfully, the craziness of summer is over and we can all look forward to brisk weather that is much more suitable for cooking.

Since I've been so incredibility lazy, I'm going to start back with an easy-peasy recipe, Mexican Lasagna.  This is my go-to for feeding a larger group OR feeding just two, but having plenty of leftovers for the week.

I cannot believe I haven't posted this recipe yet.... (I just had to go double check that I hadn't already posted it). I make it all the time... and for darn good reason --> It's plain tasty and full of nutritious goodness (yes, that's a technical term).

Read on...


Drain and rinse 1 can of black beans and 1 can of sweet corn. Combine with a can of drained/diced tomatoes (You can choose mexican flavored tomatoes for extra flair). These three ingredients appear a lot in my kitchen!


Now start browning up some lean ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken, pork, even TVP, if your vegetarian). Drain off any excess fat, then season with 1.5 tablespoons of chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (*optional for those who don't like the heat).  Add in the juice from one fresh lime.  Give it a taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  I usually end up adding more cumin, because I'm obsessed with cumin.


While the meat is browning combine 16oz. ricotta, 2 eggs, 1/2-1 cup chopped cilantro and 1 cup grated cheese.


When meat is done, combine with the corn-bean-tomato mixture.


Now line the bottom of 2 square 8"greased baking dishes (or one 9x13") with corn tortillas (they act like the noodles in your "Mexican" lasagna!).  If it's just Greg and I, I usually made 2 square pans and freeze one for a quick dinner on another night.


Now begin the layering, top the tortillas with 1/2 the meat/veg mixture, all of the cheese mixture, then tortillas.... add remaining meat/veg mixture and top with plenty of grated cheese.


Bake @ 375* for 35-40 minutes or until heated through and golden on top.  Apparently, I was either very hungry or being a major airhead the night I made this, because I didn't take a picture of the finished product.... but use your imagination, it's pure awesomeness!

Mexican Lasagna
1# ground meat
1.5 T chili powder
2 tsp cumin 
1/4 tsp cayenne
juice from one lime
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
1 large (28oz) can tomatoes, drained
1# ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 to 1 cup cilantro, chopped
2-3 cups shredded cheese
12-16 corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 375*,  grease either a 9x13 OR two 8" square baking dishes (you can either make one large lasagna, or 2 small ones, for freezing or sharing with a neighbor). 
Brown meat, discard drippings. Season meat (including a squeeze of lime), adjust if necessary.  Combine meat with corn, beans and tomatoes.
Combine ricotta, eggs, cilantro, 1c shredded cheese. Line bottom of greased pan with corn tortillas, top the tortillas with 1/2 the meat/veg mixture, all of the cheese mixture, then tortillas.... add remaining meat/veg mixture and top with plenty of grated cheese.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until heat through and golden on top.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment