Labels

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fall Fitness Fun

Shape up or ship out, people!  This is a great time of year to get your butt in shape.  I'm always motivated in the fall to be in tip-top shape.  This year I have double the motivation.  Usually my motivation is to take full advantage of the favorable weather, because it will soon be gone, the holiday food starts pouring down my throat and winter takes hold on my booty.  So I try to get a jumpstart to this downward spiral.  This year my second form of motivation is to take the next year to get in killer shape for Greg and I's wedding.
I feel that balance is extremely important when it comes to physical activity.  Just doing one type of exercise will quickly lead to a plateau and boredom.  So my rule is to mix it up, keep the body guessing and kick your own butt on a regular basis.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, baby and when you finish a killer burn, you just feel that much more accomplished.  Being outside everyday is essential in my opinion, it just makes you feel good, really gets those endorphins pumping. Plus, exercising outside has a double bonus of getting the outdoor high and the exercise high.  It rocks.  You won't find me inside the gym.  OK, enough of what makes me feel good.  What's most important about your workout is that it makes you feel good.  Every body is different, so find what feels good to you and make a habit out of it.  It takes 21 days to make a habit, so get after it!



I remember when I first started running, by choice, for exercise.  No coach told me to, no PE teacher either. When I was about 18-19, I decided to become a "jogger", and that I did.  I started by "wogging" (walk/jog combo) 1-2 miles or until I was just plain pooped.  Running 2 miles without stopping was a pretty big deal for me at that time.  I slowly worked up to 3-4 miles about 3 times per week and I've eventually ran multiple half marathons (13.1 miles) and even 1 full marathon (26.2 miles!).
That's the history on me becoming a runner.  As for my other exercise passions, yoga and hiking are it.  I've practiced yoga since I was old enough to drive myself to yoga classes, so that makes me a 10 year yogi veteran.  I've even started teaching yoga in the last year.
My hiking passion started when I started college.  I began hiking 2-3 times per week and had never felt stronger.  Hiking is the best workout ever, in my opinion.  On the uphill you have calves quads, glutes and core engaged and on the downhill you have hamstrings, glutes, and core.  If you add trekking poles in the mix you can even get an arm workout.  It's total body baby!  Love it.
PS(This is the only pic that's really me!)


My latest fitness kick is quick, high intensity strength routines that I follow from bodyrock.tv  I absolutely love this site. It gives you free workout videos that require little, if any, equipment.  They are short and sweet, too, which is essential for me if I'm doing any strength routine.  I need it to be zippy because I get bored.  I also like strength routines to mainly use my own body weight for strength because I tend to bulk if I lift heavy weights, and this site does this amazingly.  Plus, this site is a positive, wellness-minded community to be a part of.  It's a fun site to follow, but user beware....the chick in the videos can be a little distracting, but I still love it.

If this pic doesn't get you in gear, I don't know what will!


As for Nutrition, I'm focusing on meeting my veggie and water requirements. With nutrition, I feel it's more important to focus on meeting nutrition needs instead of restricting this or that.  Plus, when you focus on something like veggies and water, it automatically helps you eat less calories and get more nutrients.  Double BONUS! Woot!

So get out there and get fit with me!
Please share some of your fitness stuff with me so I can keep mixing it up on a regular basis.

Peace & Love

No comments:

Post a Comment