Labels

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Easy Baked Mexi-Chicken

So last week, I was on a major Mexican Food kick.  I made Mexican food 4 out of 5 nights.  
Here's a few reasons why I like Mexican Food:
1. It's spicy.  I LOVE THE HEAT!
2. It's fresh....the way I cook it anyways. Full of vegetables, lime and cilantro.
3. I LOVE cumin.  It's become one of my favorite spices.
4. I LOVE cilantro.  It's such a versatile herb, with many uses.  Not too overpowering.
5. I LOVE beans.
6. I LOVE cheese.
7. It's fun to roll things up in a tortilla
8. Tacos are the coolest meal, you can make them a ba-zillion ways.
9. It's easy to make vegetarian.
10. It's plain easy to prepare.

Today's recipe combines many of my favorite things about Mexican foods.  I got the idea of this recipe from my dear friend, Leslie, back when I was in High School and I dated her sweet son.  It was originally a Weight Watchers recipe, but I spiced it up a bit.  It's so easy, you're going to love it!

The following recipe serves 2-3.  There's really no specific recipe, so play with it until you find personal perfection.

Here's what you need:
Chicken breasts
Refried Beans
Cumin
Chili Powder
Cayenne
Salsa
*Optional: Cilantro, Avocado, Lime, Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 350*
Line an 8x8 baking dish with aluminum foil (for easy clean up).  
Open a can of refried bean and spread the beans in your foil lined baking dish.
Place 2-3 chicken breasts on top of the beans.
Sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, and cayenne.  Feel free to leave out the cayenne if you aren't nuts about spicy food.



Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through or has internal temp of 160*. 
Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes.


To serve, scoop up plenty of beans and plate, top with the chicken.  Top with salsa, avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.....or whatever floats your boat!
Serve with a pile of greens on top for a Mexican Salad
OR
Serve with Spanish Brown Rice.


If you're feeling extra saucy, enjoy with an ice cold Corona.
Salute!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you're doing pretty good at staying gourmet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your list of loves...especially cumin :) I have never made chicken like this and get sick of my same ol chicken recipes, so I'll definitely follow yours next time I make it. Your recipe seems simple with tons of flavor and all the toppings are making my mouth water. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a thing for cumin!

      Delete