Labels

Friday, January 27, 2012

Simple Pasta Primavera for One!

Since Greg has been saving the day in Washington, I have been kickin' it by myself in Utah for the last week.  Not only have I been alone, but I've been deathly sick.  I honestly can't remember the last time I have been knocked down so hard by a cold.  UGH!  With all of this happening, I haven't had a decent meal in days.  SO I decided to make a delicious pasta dish, for one.  

I know how hard it is to cook something special and delicious for just one person.  It's quite a dilemma, this cooking for one.  You think to yourself, "There's no use in cooking just for me.  I'll just have cereal for dinner.  I don't want to have a ton of leftovers or dishes to do." Etc, etc.

So here's an easy dish for one that can be catered to what you have on hand.

What you need is:
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Garlic
Veggies (I used onion, bell pepper, & cherry tomatoes. Use what you have on hand.)
Pasta (I used whole wheat spaghetti)
Parmesan (the real stuff!!!)
Lemon zest (optional)
If you're feeling extra frisky, you could add some bacon or pancetta!!

This is so easy and doesn't dirty too many dishes.  It makes just enough for one hungry person (like me!) or 2 small servings.
Preheat oven to 400*.  Put a medium pot of water on to boil (for pasta).

Chop up your veggies so they are all the same size.  The smaller you cut them the faster they will roast.
This recipe doesn't have any specific measurements either.  So put about 3 handfuls of veggies onto a baking sheet.  


Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pop into that hot oven and roast for 25-35 minutes or until they turn golden brown.  That's the special thing about roasting vegetables, it sweetens them up and transforms the flavors.  Since this is a sauceless pasta, be sure to let the veggies caramelize to develop the flavor.


While veggies are roasting, thinly slice a clove of garlic.


Add the garlic to the veggies for the last 5 minutes of roasting.  (If you added the garlic in the very beginning, it would burn!)


This post is full of fun little facts.  Here's another one.  A handful of pasta as big around as a quarter, will make 1-2 cups of cooked noodles.  This is how much I used and it made a large bowl of noodles.  Perfect for one hungry person (or 2).  Throw those noodles into boil; cook to al dente.


Here's another secret to a special pasta dish, grate parmesan into your serving bowl.  It helps you get that perfect amount of cheese in each bite!



Drain your noodles and toss the roasted veggies and pasta together. Make sure to scrap any juices off the roasting pan into your dish.  Lots of flavor in those juices!!!


Place that delicious-ness into a big bowl and top with plenty of grated parmesan and lemon zest.
**This is not an advertisement for Microplane graters, but if you don't have one, you ABSOLUTELY must get one ASAP!  They are superb.


If you're like me and LOVE pasta, savor each bite.


Oh, la la!


Come to mama!  This is the first meal I've actually enjoyed in a week!

Bon Appétit!

2 comments:

  1. Hi D - LOVE this dish, we had it last night and it ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love to hear when people make my recipes!!

      Delete