Labels

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Grasshopper Pie

Yesterday was Greg's birthday and we spent it in the middle of no-where, sub-arctic Idaho.  It was -7* degrees this morning! I was feeling kind of bad that he had to spend his birthday working in the cold, so I wanted to make him a cake.  The problem with this is that we are staying in the cabin shown below:


Even by my trailer-trash standards, it's tiny.....and it has no oven. So a cake was out of the question.  But I had to make him a dessert, because he has been OBSESSED with sweets lately.  Which is WAY out of character.  For the past 5 years of our relationship, he has been the guy that says, "I'm not into sweets."  As for me, I won't let any form of sweets past me!  Within the last 6 months or so, he has become a sweet-monger! And I'm loving it!  He finally understands my post-dinner sugar cravings!  So I decided to make him an ice cream pie!

Ok, this is really simple. Here's what you need:  A graham cracker crust, chocolate mint cookies (or Oreos), and chocolate chip mint ice cream.
As you can see, the store around here only carries "Western Family," so the whole sha-bang is generic!  You would think the generic brand would be cheap, right?  Not in BFE!!  This is the only store within 30 miles, and it's wickedly pricey.  The guy in front of me paid $10 for a bag of string-cheese.  Wow.


Moving on.  Let your ice cream sit at room temp until it's softened.
Sneak a couple bites to make sure it's ok for your guests ;)


Spoon the softened ice cream into your prepared crust.  You could always make your own crust.  Graham or Oreo crust would both be good.


Next place a few cookies into a plastic bag and crush them with a mallet or the back of your hand.


Be sure to leave a some big chunks. Come on, everyone likes big chunks!


Now sprinkle your crushed cookies on top and put the pie in the freezer for 6-8 hours.  The longer the better.


And if you're an idiot like me, and you want to surprise the birthday boy, light candles over the ice cream when you think the birthday boy is getting out of the shower.....  Except he stayed in there for another 5 minutes and the cake was melting!  Here's a little advice, light the candles and immediately blow them out!


There's the birthday boy digging into his cake!


Since it was just the 2 of us, we ate it straight out of the  pan.  Classy, I know.  You really can't go wrong with cookies & ice cream.


Feel free to change this recipe to whatever your favorites are.  Think cookie dough ice cream and crushed chocolate chip cookies.  Or peanut butter ice cream and Reese's.  Or chocolate ice cream and Butterfingers.  I could seriously go on forever.

Enjoy.
D

No comments:

Post a Comment